How to factory reset a Chromebook? In this tutorial, I show you how to factory reset and powerwash your Chromebook. This works whether you remember your password or not. This can be very helpful if you need to restore your Chromebook back to the default settings and completely delete all of your user data. This is especially helpful if you need to wipe your Chromebook before reselling it. In this video, I cover two different factory reset methods: how to reset your Chromebook without a password and how to reset your Chromebook while logged in.
Note: a factory reset will delete all user data on your device. If there are any other users that share the Chromebook, their information will also be deleted.
How to factory reset your Chromebook without a password:
1. Turn on your Chromebook.
2. From the log-in screen, hold down Shift + Ctrl + Alt + R. This should open a new menu that says Reset this device. From here, select Powerwash and Revert, and then select Continue to confirm.
Note: a factory reset will delete all user data on your device. If there are any other users that share the Chromebook, their information will also be deleted. How to Factory Reset your Chromebook while you are logged in:
1. Turn on your Chromebook and log in.
2. Select the Clock icon in the bottom left-hand corner, and then select the Gear icon to open the settings.
3. Within Settings, search Powerwash in the Search Apps cursor. Once it loads, select the arrow beside Powerwash. Select Restart to confirm.
4. After the Chromebook restarts, you should see a screen displaying Reset this Chrome device. Select Powerwash and then Continue to confirm.